Compost, Yard and Organic Waste
The City of West Fargo does not collect compost or yard waste at the curb. Drop-off locations are available throughout the town during the spring, summer and fall for yard waste.
- Yard waste includes organic, biodegradable material from lawn trimming or raking, as well as leaves, vines and garden waste, such as leftover fall produce and Halloween pumpkins.
- Yard waste does not include brush, branches or bushes.
The current yard waste drop-off locations are:
- Department of Sanitation (117 Eighth St. W)
- West Fargo Legion Field (501 13th Ave. W)
- Eagle Run Water Tower (40th Ave. S and Sheyenne St.)
- 17th Street E. (between Second Ave. E. and Starr Ave.)
These collection sites include a large dumpster for the grass, leaves or other yard waste (again, no brush or branches allowed).
The collection site also includes a smaller receptacle for plastic bags and boxes used to transport the material. Please open the bags and dump the yard waste into the roll-off box. Do not throw your plastic bags in with yard waste as they will contaminate the compost.
The Public Works Department will pick up branches curbside on garbage day. When placing branches for pick up, please keep in mind that branches should NOT be placed next to mailboxes or vehicles or on concrete or over sprinklers. Branches should be in lengths of 4-feet or less, but do not need to be bundled. Additionally, there is no need to request pick up of branches, since the truck will run with the garbage collection.
- Branches should be in lengths of 4-feet or less. They do not need to be bundled.
- Branches should be placed next to curbs, but not:
- Next to mailboxes or vehicles
- On concrete
- Over sprinklers.
City crews will circulate on garbage collection days with a grapple truck. You do not need to schedule a pickup.
If you would like to dispose of them yourself, bring the branches to the Transfer Station (1620 Main Avenue W in West Fargo).
Christmas trees will be picked up from your boulevard after Jan. 1.
- All trees must have the bags and stands removed for efficient processing.
- Please watch the local newspaper and cable access channel for further information around Christmas.
- Trees are not always picked up with the trash, so please leave them on the curb until a crew can get to them.
- Trees buried in snow banks will not be picked up.
Wreaths are not collected with Christmas trees.
Bio-Mass Recycling Program
The City of West Fargo offers bio-mass recycling for grass, leaves, branches, logs, compost materials, garden waste, yard waste, Christmas trees and other organic materials. The city also offers mulch for residents to use in personal landscapes.