Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Replace smoke detectors every 7 to 10 years.
- After 7 to 10 years false reading may occur, the detector burns through batteries faster and the sensors inside the device will begin to deteriorate.
- Change batteries when you adjust your clocks for daylight savings.
- Have a smoke alarm in each bedroom and one on each level.
- To avoid false alarms, do not install detectors in the kitchen or bathroom.
- Test smoke detectors monthly.
- In general, if a detector is beeping every so often, that means that the batteries need to be changed.
- Please do not just disconnect the detector to stop the beeping.
- Hard wired detectors still operate with a battery. The wires connect all detectors together for them to initiate throughout the house.
- In residential terms, smoke detectors and smoke alarms are interchangeable terms.
- If you need to find how old your smoke detector is or the model number, typically this information is found on the back of the detector.
Smoke Detector Instillation - Red Cross
Throughout the year the American Red Cross partners with the West Fargo Fire Department to install new smoke detectors within the homes of different neighborhood within the city of West Fargo.
Information regarding smoke detector instillations will be posted on the fire department website, social media, and through mail.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
A carbon monoxide detector or CO detector is a device that detects the presence of the carbon monoxide (CO) gas to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Carbon monoxide detectors should be located outside of a mechanical room if you have a gas furnace or water heater. One should also be located near any gas powered appliances.
- CO detectors can be a standalone device or combined with a smoke detector.
The CO alarm will sound if your sensor detects a high buildup of carbon monoxide in your home. Most people begin to feel the effects of carbon monoxide at 50 ppm, so be sure your detector can sense an amount of 50 ppm or less.
CO is an odorless, poisonous and potentially fatal gas.
- Out of breath
- Nauseous and headaches
- Feel sleepy, tired, and/or are drowsier than normal
- Get fresh air right away.
- Call 911 immediately and crews will respond with the proper protection and detection devices.